I am a postdoctoral scholar at the Center for Marine Biotechnology and Biomedicine at Scripps Institution of Oceanography / UC San Diego. I gained a great appreciation for metabolism during my undergraduate work on Streptomyces bacteria in Jason Sello's lab. To further learn about life's biosynthetic capabilities and how we can harness it for good, I joined Jay Keasling's group at UC Berkeley, where I quickly learned that the field is limited by the variety of chemical reactions we can catalyze enzymatically. During my graduate studies, I focused on enzyme discovery using high-throughput mass spectrometry. Now, at SIO, I have set my sights on the abundant existing biodiversity – and hence, biosynthetic potential – in the world's oceans to expand our biosynthetic toolbox.
My current interests include:
- Genomics of biosynthetically "gifted" marine organisms
- Metabolic pathway and enzyme discovery
- "Biosynthetic methodology"
- Metabolic engineering
- High-throughput analytical chemistry
- Laboratory automation
- Graduate and undergraduate student mentorship
Tristan's Tips and Tricks
If you're unable to access a paper you want to read, please contact me and I can share an electronic copy for personal use.
- de Rond T., Gao J., Zargar A., de Raad M., Cunha J., Northen T.R., Keasling J.D. (2019) A high-throughput mass spectrometric enzyme activity assay enabling the discovery of cytochrome P450 biocatalysts. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl.
- Curran S., Hagen, A., Poust, S. , Chan L.J.G., Garabedian B.M., de Rond, T. et al. (2017) Controlled iteration by a Type I ‘stuttering’ polyketide synthase module. ACS Chem Biol.
- de Rond, T., Stow, P., Eigl, I., et al. (2017) Oxidative cyclization of prodigiosin by an alkylglycerol monooxygenase-like enzyme. Nat. Chem. Biol. 13
- de Raad, M.*, de Rond, T.*, Rübel, O., et al. (2017). OpenMSI Arrayed Analysis Toolkit: Analyzing spatially defined samples using mass spectrometry imaging. Anal. Chem. 89 (code available at https://github.com/biorack/omaat)
- Degreif, D., de Rond, T., Bertl, A. Keasling, J.D., and Budin, I. (2017). Lipid engineering reveals regulatory roles for membrane fluidity in yeast flocculation and oxygen-limited growth. Metab. Eng. 41
- Hagen, A., Poust, S., de Rond, T., Fortman, J.L., Katz, L., Petzold, C.J., and Keasling, J.D. (2015). Engineering a polyketide synthase for in vitro production of adipic acid. ACS Synth. Biol. 2
- Johnson, R.E., de Rond, T., Lindsay, V.N.G., Keasling, J.D., and Sarpong, R. (2015). Synthesis of Cycloprodigiosin Identifies the Natural Isolate as a Scalemic Mixture. Org. Lett. 17
- de Rond, T., Danielewicz, M., and Northen, T. (2015). High throughput screening of enzyme activity with mass spectrometry imaging. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 31
- Hagen, A., Poust, S., de Rond, T., Yuzawa, S., Katz, L., Adams, P.D., Petzold, C.J., and Keasling, J.D. (2014). In vitro analysis of carboxyacyl substrate tolerance in the loading and first extension modules of borrelidin polyketide synthase. Biochemistry 53
- de Rond, T., Peralta-Yahya, P., Cheng, X., Northen, T.R., and Keasling, J.D. (2013). Versatile synthesis of probes for high-throughput enzyme activity screening. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 405